- In 1754, John Newton experienced an epileptic seizure. This incident was the cause of his leave from his slave trade career.
– John Newton was a personal friend to William Wilberforce, Charles Simeon, Henry Martyn, William Carey, John Wesley, George Whitefield, and many more.
– John Newton transported more than a few shiploads of the 6 million African slaves brought to the Americas in the 18th century when he was a slave-trading captain.
– After retiring from slave trade, John Newton decided to join William Wilberforce in protesting against the African slave trade.
– John Newton was a mentor to William Wilberforce and had a great influence over him, and in the movie, Amazing Grace, he played the mentor of Wilberforce.